I had a vision this morning when I woke up. It was probably because my body was in desperate need of caffeine. (The baby is still waking me up to eat several times a night..) And in this house, the go to caffeine drink is Mountain Dew. Jaos loves, loves, loves the Dew. He always has. Im normally a cola girl. Coke to be exact. But Im known to sneak a Dew now and then. You know, just for caffeine purposes. Not because I yearn for that citrusy taste or anything. Oh that sweet bite of the first sip of Dew. Mmmm.
Okay, Okay, so I came up with a Mountain Dew cupcake. I took a basic yellow cake recipe and tweaked it. I zested 2 limes and 1 lemon. Then juiced both. I added half the zest to the batter and half to the frosting. In place of the norm of milk in the batter, I used lemon juice, lime juice and Mountain Dew. And substituted lemon extract for vanilla. I used the lemon juice, lime juice, lemon extract and Dew in the buttercream as well.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. They are incredibly Dew like!!! When tasting the batter, I was worried there was too much lime. But after they baked, it mellowed quite a bit. They came out really moist as well. The buttercream continued the lemony lime flavor, with a tad bite. Just like Dew. I think if I had added a smidge of orange, just a tad of orange zest, I would have nailed it. But I am really pleased with how they came out on the first go round. I would recommend these to anyone with a Dew lover in their house. Or anyone who loves citrus!
Mountain Dew Cupcakes
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup Mountain Dew
1/4 cup of lemon and lime juice (juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime)
zest from 1 lemon and 2 limes (separate into 2 piles, one for buttercream)
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Beat butter on medium for 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar and lemon, lime zest. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, Scrape sides of bowl in between additions
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to mixer bowl. Turn on low for 5 seconds.
5. Add the Mountain Dew, lemon/lime juice, and lemon extract . Mix to combine.
5. Scoop into cupcake papers about two-thirds full.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
Mountain Dew Buttercream
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
4-5 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Mountain Dew
Juices from half of 1 lemon and half of 1 lime.
Lemon and lime zest (rest of zest from cupcake recipe. Or zest from half of 1 lemon and 1 whole lime)
1 teaspoon lemon extract
neon green food coloring (yellow and blue if you dont have green)
1. Sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment
2. Beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy
3. Add half of the sugar, turn mixer on low for 5 seconds.
4. Add the Mountain Dew, zest, and lemon extract . Beat until combined.
5. Add food coloring to the desired color.
6. Gradually add remaining sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.